This is a list of ALL the required documents needed for anyone who wants to work in Germany as a guest scientist / visiting scholar
• Fully completed and signed application and declaration forms.
• Two passport photographs (see this page for photograph requirements).
• A valid national passport.
• An A4 size copy of your passports data page.
• A letter confirming your health insurance for emergency medical care or hospitalization with a minimum cover of 30,000 Euros.
• Evidence showing flight reservations, rail tickets, or other travel arrangements.
• Evidence of accommodation for your entire duration in the Schengen area.
• A covering letter describing the reason of your visit to Germany.
• A letter from your university / research institute showing no objection to your visit.
• An invitation letter from a German university / research institute stating the conditions of your visit in Germany, as well as payment information(scholarship).
• Evidence of academic qualifications – degree certificates or marksheets.
• Civil status requirements; marriage certificate, death certificate of spouse birth certificate(s) of children.
Where and how to apply for a Guest Scientist Visa / Visiting Scholar Visa for Germany
You should apply at the German Embassy in your home country. If it is your first time applying, you must submit the application and all the required documents IN PERSON.
If you have applied for and being granted a Guest Scientist / Visiting Scholar visa before, you may submit your application form and documents using a travel agency or agent.
It is strongly recommended that you apply for your visa at least three weeks before you are due to travel in case of any delays in processing your application.
Visa payment for a Guest Scientist Visa / Visiting Scholar Visa for Germany
You must pay for the visa using a bank transfer. Credit cards or cheques are NOT allowed. Any money orders must be in the name of your home country consulate, and they must not be more than two months old. As of 2008, the cost of a visa is 60 Euros.
Visa fees will NOT be refunded if your visa application is rejected. The price of the visa may change at any time.