Home Business in Germany Self Employment Taxes for Self-employees

Taxes for Self-employees

Individuals living in Germany for six months, or longer, in any two-year period are considered residents for taxation purposes. As such, they are liable for tax on any German property they own and the income they earn in Germany and any other country. Individuals living in Germany for less than six months are only liable for tax on the income they earn in Germany.

How Much Tax Do You Pay?

Germany offers an annual tax free allowance of €8,354 for unmarried people. Thereafter, income tax starts at 14% and increases on a sliding scale to 45%, depending on how much you earn. A solidarity levy or surcharge (Solidaritätszuschlag), equivalent to 5.5% of your income tax, is also raised to fund the rebuilding of eastern Germany. Married couples can file a joint tax return, which typically reduces the overall amount of tax for which they are liable.

german health Insurance

Foreigners in Germany are not obliged to affiliate with a recognised faith but, if they do, they are liable for church tax (Kirchensteuer). Church tax is charged at 8% in the southern states of Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg and 9% in other parts of the country and is deducted automatically at source.

Tax Payments

Self-employees must apply to the German tax office for quarterly instalment payments, which are credited to their annual income tax bill and adjusted when a final income tax assessment for a complete financial year in available. Tax returns must be filed at the relevant tax office on, or before, May 31 of the year following the financial year to which they relate. If you are unclear about your rights and obligations as a German taxpayer, please refer to the tax office for detailed advice.

Previous articleFinancing a property
Next articleGerman Business Taxes

Most Popular

Cost of Living in Berlin

When you decide to move to Germany, and Berlin in particular, it is important to understand what the cost of living in...

How to Start a Business in Berlin

Taxes Applicable in Berlin for Self-employed and Freelancers The legal form of your business will determine the various types...

Trade Tax in Germany (Gewerbesteuer)

Every business in Germany (with some exceptions) are liable to pay trade tax (Gewerbesteuer). There are various types of taxes that are...

The Difference Between Tax ID (TIN) and Tax Number in Germany

By the introduction of the tax identification number (IdNo, or TIN) in 2008, Germany wants to modernise its tax system by making...

VAT Number, Rates and Registration in Germany

What is the VAT number? The VAT number in Germany is used to identify you when making payments to...

The Anmeldung – How to Register Your Address in Germany

In Germany, it is required to register your address with the local district office (Bürgeramt). This is called the “anmeldung”, and is...