Home News Tips for moving to a new country!
- Firstly, make sure you have a valid passport and a visa that will allow you to move to the country. Ensure you have all the right documents in place.
- Plan your trip! You have to know what to expect, in fact, try and arrange a pre-visit, whether it is through work or a short holiday. It will be extremely helpful if you have a first-hand experience of your new home.
- It is very important that you settle accommodation at an early stage and ideally you even go for a pre-visit before you commit over the phone or internet. If you are moving to a city, the probability is that accommodation will be expensive, so plan well in advance.
- After the accommodation is settled, start thinking about banking accounts, mobile network and internet.
- Check if you know any people that have lived in the country or currently living to get some opinions and experiences. Furthermore, it is a great way to make friends through your friends.
- Plan how you will get around in the new country. Do you have an existing driving license and is it still valid? Do you plan to get one, or do you prefer to opt for public transport? Make sure you are aware of the transport possibilities.
- Try to leave your existing/previous job on a good note, just in case things go bad, like this, you will safeguard some type of work as plan b.
- Be aware of language barriers. Learning the basics of the native language can be very helpful. Take some lessons before, watch some movies or listen to some music of the country. Make yourself familiar.