Growth and improvement of the Tourism industry is not solely done by Governments and on a corporate level, but, the average tourist can contribute as well. The UNWTO Global Code of Ethics endorsed a set of advices for the tourist and traveler. It was also approved by the World Committee on Tourism Ethics in May 2005.
The Responsible Tourist and Traveler
- Open your mind to other cultures and traditions. This is suggested to enhance one’s experience when travelling, as you it will be easier to gain respect and be welcomed by the locals. Do your best to adapt!
- Respect human rights. Respect and be respected. Treat others the way you wish to be treated.
- Help preserve natural environments. Support the environment by protecting wildlife and natural habitats. Avoid buying products that were made with or tested on animals.
- Respect cultural resources. Do not conduct activities that pose threats to and cultural and heritage of the destination.
- Your trip can contribute to economic and social development. Try to make use of local services and purchase local products. This will aid and support the country’s economy.
- Be aware of the current health situation in the destination. Problems with health can seriously ruin your and your companions trip. Ensure that you know the basic emergency and consular services prior your departure. Furthermore, if you have any medical conditions, be sure that you are equipped with anything you will need.
- Learn as much as possible about your destination. Understand the customs, traditions and behaviors. This can make it easier for you to interact and make friends. Also, it is wise to be aware of the level of safety in the country.
- Make yourself familiar with the laws. If you are on a holiday, the last thing you need is a fine or even worse potential imprisonment. Do not commit any act considered illegal by the law of the country. Keep away from breaking laws, excessive drinking, illicit drugs or weapons. Be aware of what’s illegal, and do not do it.
One does not necessarily follow each and every step, however, it is advisory to adhere to the guidelines above. Travel the world and contribute to making it a better place for you and the ones to come!